Sexy kittens, rocker pirates, and glittery vampires are so overdone. This year, be the life of the party with a costume straight from the pages of all those tabloids you don’t read, and those gossipy blogs you definitely don’t visit. Halloween costumes that are truly unforgettable are the fun, zeitgeisty ones that didn’t come in a plastic pouch at a costume pop-up shop. Plus, these items you may actually wear after the 31st. Consider it a trick that doubles as a treat.
Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” Costume
Ever since Vogue talked her into getting bangs and she became fascinated by the Kennedys (and even started dating one!), Taylor Swift has underwent a major style transformation. It’s retro with a touch of whimsy — Zooey Deschanel better watch out, because she’s slipping into adorkable territory. Cop her memorable new look and practice your sassy dance moves, because you know her new single will be playing at least 12 times an hour on every Top 40 radio station. Bonus points if you can convince a few friends to dress in animal costumes as her band.
- Fake Black Wayfarer Glasses, Amazon; $12.99
- Hairdo Clip-In Bangs, Amazon; $13.99
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Fire & Ice, Drugstore.com; $7.99 (or Covergirl Lip Perfection in Flame)
- Daisy White Lounger Pajamas, Sleepyheads; $38.47 (or Nick & Nora It’s a Hoot Pajamas)
- Red by Taylor Swift, Amazon; $9.99 (Okay, not completely necessary to transform into T-Swizzle, but pretty darn close.)
PSY’s “Gangnam Style” Costume
Master the dance and dominate the crowd. As Korean pop star PSY, it’s pretty much guaranteed. Here’s your cheatsheet to getting your “Gangnam Style” on:
- Marley Camptown Sunglasses, Zilzie Wear; $16.75
- Cuffed Blazer, Forever21; $24.99
- Black Masking Tape (for lining the blazer lapels, completing the PSY look), ULine; $1.60
- Black Bowtie, Amazon; $4.95
Breaking Bad Walter White Costume
Bryan Cranston proved he’s so much more than Malcolm’s mild-mannered dad with his dark turn as Walter White in Breaking Bad, and now it’s your chance. Make some blue rock candy, grab a painter’s smock, and you’re only a gravelly sneer away from embodying the prime time meth maker.
- Blue Raspberry Rock Candy, Oh! Nuts; $6.99/lb.
- Fake Ginger Moustache, Century Novelty; $1.95
- Disposable White Tyvek Coverall Suit, Amazon; $7.93
- Foster Grant Reading Glasses, Walmart; $19
This little pageant queen is equal parts glamour, swagger, and unstoppable flatulance — and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo fans wouldn’t have it any other way. Honor Glitzy with a piglet cell phone case, and book that spray tan appointment, stat!
- 3D Pig Silicone Cell Phone Case, eBay; $3.37
- Elegant Daisy Tiara, Oriental Trading; $8.50
- Women’s Pink Tutu, Halloweencostumes.com; $19.99
- Pink Satin Rhinestone Tube Top, eBay; $17.24
The Hunger Games‘ Effie Trinket Costume
Sure, Katniss is the Girl on Fire, but the real fun is playing the lovably laughable Effie Trinket. Want proof? Just recall all the times the characters mock her Capitol accent. Try out Refinery29′s makeup tutorial, and may the odds be ever in your favor. (Yes, I went there.)
- Lady Gaga Curly Wig, Amazon; $12.25
- Peplum Zip-Front Jacket, Target; $24.99
- Lace Panel Pencil Skirt, Forever21; $17.80
- Purple Frosted Flower Hair Clip, Amazon; 1 cent
- Dead White Face Powder, Party City; $4.99
Want more costume ideas?
- Dress like Katy Perry (circa California Gurls), Russell Brand, a Teen Mom, and more
- Channel your inner Kristen Wiig (or other Bridesmaids), Kardashian, Occupy Wall Streeter (or Sesame Street-er), or get in touch with a celeb’s alter ego a la Katy Perry and Lady Gaga