I’m a cheap date.
That statement has nothing to do with drinking — it’s entirely about my boyfriend’s struggle to take me out to a nice restaurant when all my favorites feature supersized meals that cost about $7-$9 on average, and offer little in the way of romantic ambience.
Like Chipotle Mexican Grill.
I can’t get enough of their steak burrito bowls. I’m obsessed, and it’s due to this obsession that I decided to make my own cilantro lime rice. It’s tangy, it’s refreshing, it’s … completely worth testing.
Zesty Cilantro Lime Rice with Black Beans Recipe
Utensils required: stovetop/saucepan (or microwave and microwave-safe bowl), ladle, cutting board, knife
Ingredients (makes four servings):
- 1 lime
- 1 small bundle of cilantro (enough for 3 tablespoons)
- 1 cup of Jasmine or Basmati rice
- 1 can of black beans
Time commitment: 5 minutes to prepare, 15 minutes to cook if using oven/4-6 minutes using microwave
1. Using a saucepan, bring water to a boil, and follow the package’s instructions for making rice. Similarly, if you’re using a microwave, check the rice package for heating instructions.
2. Finely chop three tablespoons’ worth of cilantro, and stir it into the cooked rice.
3. Slice a lime, squeezing out all of the juice over the rice.
4. Open the can of black beans and drain out the excess juice. Place the beans in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 minute, stir, then heat for another minute and a half.
5. Finally, stir everything together, fluffing the rice and allowing the flavor to seep through thoroughly.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love:
- Jackie Haberman’s 7-Layer Dip (No cooking necessary!)
- Avocado Bacon Salad
- Southwestern Shrimp Enchiladas with Queso Blanco