Planning your first Thanksgiving dinner party? Heading home for the holidays and want to surprise your parents with your own signature side dish? Just have a hankerin’ for sweet potatoes? No matter your rationale, this casserole won’t disappoint!
Utensils required: oven, mixing bowl, spoonula, oven mitts, butter knife, casserole dish, can opener, electric mixer
- 1 large can of sweet potatoes (40 ounces)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- mini marshmallows (optional)
Time commitment: 20 minutes to prepare, 45 minutes to cook
Steps (serves 8-10):
1. Before doing anything, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, open the can of sweet potatoes, and drain out all of the excess juices. Pour the sweet potatoes into a mixing bowl, and using an electric mixer, blend the potatoes until they’re smooth and creamy.
2. Take the chalaza — that white, stringy part — out of the eggs once they’re cracked, and add them to the mixing bowl. Here’s what the chalaza looks like:
3. Add in the sugar and one stick of butter, and blend it all together. Butter the casserole dish, then pour the mashed sweet potatoes inside.
4. Now you’re ready to make the oatmeal streusel topping. Chop up the remaining 1/2 stick of butter and put it in the now-empty mixing bowl (or a whole new bowl). Add in the cinnamon, dark brown sugar, flour and oats. Use your hands to mix all of these ingredients together.
5. The streusel may look more like a dough ball right now, but if it does, don’t fret. Just crumble it into small pieces and sprinkle it atop the mashed sweet potatoes.
6. Place it in the oven for 40 minutes.
7. Once the timer goes off, sprinkle on some marshmallows — as many as you’d like — and put the casserole back in the oven for five more minutes.