Whether it’s cold outside or you just want to pretend it is, this hearty chicken & dumplings soup fills you up without weighing you down.
Utensils required: ladle, pot, stove
- 1-2 cans of low-sodium chicken and vegetable soup, or you can use our Lazy Sunday Chicken Noodle Soup recipe as a base
- 2 1/4 cups Bisquick mix
- 2/3 cup of milk
Time commitment: 20 minutes or less
1. Open the can of soup or prepare our recipe for Lazy Sunday Chicken Noodle Soup (or pull out the leftovers, which is an even better idea!). Pour the soup into a pot and let it come to a boil on the stovetop.
2. As the stove heats, follow the directions on the back of the Bisquick box to make biscuits (that’s when you’ll use the milk).
3. Once the soup is boiling, drop teaspoon-sized dough balls into the soup. Slowly lower them in though — I don’t want the soup to splatter and scald you! Add in only as many dough balls as you think you’ll eat. Otherwise, the dumplings will start to break apart in the soup after a couple hours (assuming you store some as leftovers), which will thicken the soup so that it tastes more like Panera’s cream of chicken and wild rice soup, but it also means that the dumplings will pretty much disappear!
4. Let the dough balls cook in the boiling soup for about 10 minutes, until they’re cooked all the way through. It’s that simple.